Monday, June 2, 2014

Weekend Wrap-Up

Well, I did it, I finished my 2nd half marathon and 4th Dam to Dam race!  Dam to Dam is an annual Iowa running event, which starts at the top of the dam of one of Iowa’s largest lakes and ends in downtown Des Moines near the dam on the river.  

My morning started at 4am when I woke up to meet my friends downtown to catch the bus to the top of the dam!

After a 30 minute bus ride…



…a quick bathroom break…



…and a few pre-race pictures…



…the gun was fired and we were off!



Thanks to my family, I had some awesome support along the way, which I needed because the run was much harder than I had anticipated it to be. 



The course was new this year, and there were a few more hills than expected.  It also happened to be one of the hottest days in the race’s history (go figure) with temps in the mid 70’s and 87% humidity, yuck! Even with the warm temp, I somehow managed to shatter my previous half marathon time by 18 minutes!  I guess those long Saturday runs really paid off!  



I definitely feel the burn today (helllllloo thigh muscles) and I can’t believe it, but I am already itching to do another! 

The rest of Saturday was spent napping, until later that evening when we headed 30 miles west for a BBQ with some friends.  We didn’t have a sitter that night, so Rowen got to tag along!




Sunday was a pretty lazy day, we ran some errands that morning and then headed to my parent’s house for a little pool party where we learned we have quite the water baby – she could have spent all afternoon in the pool if we would have let her!





We ended the evening with another BBQ and then headed home for some much needed R&R!

Hope you had a good weekend, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment